We teach your dog to avoid snakes
"Snake proof" your dog
Many hundreds of dogs are bitten by snakes every year and sadly many die. If your dog survives the bite it can cost thousands of dollars at the vets for antivenom treatment. Data is hard to come by but Murdoch Vet Hospital, in their catchment area only, treated between 76 and 137 dogs for snakebite a year from 2007-2010.
Snake avoidance training for your dog is now available in WA through Animal Ark.
Our training is quick and effective. We use a low-level static correction collar to achieve this. This enables your dog to learn that close proximity to the interesting object (a snake) will be unpleasant and thus creates a negative association. This teaches the dog to make it's own decision to avoid snakes and the unpleasant reaction in the future.
It is very important that we use real venomous snakes under strictly controlled situations, as these are the dangerous species we want your dog to avoid. Fortunately we are very good with both snakes and dogs and are fully licensed with the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) in WA to deliver wildlife education.
All the feedback for snake avoidance, or snake aversion, training shows that it works. Dogs vary hugely in learning ability. Retraining is advised every year for 2/3 years by which time most dogs have a thorough snake avoidance, snake proofing, education.
This practical, life saving training comprises:
- One-on-one training
- Training style briefing
- Snakebite facts
- First aid for your dog
- Practical avoidance sessions with live non-venomous and venomous snakes
- Local snake species used for the training
- Strict safety protocols followed for snake handling
- Suitable for any dog over 6 months old
- Not suitable for aggressive dogs
- Training session usually takes less than an hour
Trainer David Manning works with a variety of wildlife and is a registered wildlife rehabilitator.
David's company Animal Ark used to train and supply a huge variety of dogs for film, television and photographic work in the UK.
As a professional herpetologist David delivers DPaW endorsed venomous snake handling and awareness training to companies and individuals throughout WA.
David has a Certificate IV in Training & Assessment, is a 2012 Churchill Fellow, and a Fellow of the ZSL (Zoological Society of London).
"With my background in training and supplying animals for film and TV production, animal welfare and safety is always our highest priority." - David Manning
Photo: David Manning with his co-star presenting a dog safety programme in Auckland some years ago.
Some amazing footage from our weekend at Harradines Vet Bunbury. One of our clients, Dimi the kelpie cross, at play shortly after training. Watch the third throw of the stick and where it lands - spot the snake and see what Dimi does......
REFRESHER TRAINING - $85 inc GST.
Northern Suburbs, Southern Suburbs, Perth Hills, SW WA. We are happy to travel and can usually arrange training in your area if 6 or more dogs book.
Please see our Terms and Conditions for all training courses.
All dog owners are required to sign a liability waiver. Must keep those lawyers happy!
Recommended by numerous
- DPaW licensed providers of wildlife education and training WD000569
- Trainer David Manning works with a variety of wildlife and is a registered wildlife rehabilitator. David's company Animal Ark used to train and handle a huge variety of dogs for film, TV and photographic work in the UK.
- David Manning (Cert IV TAE) is engaging and effective with people and animals of all ages and abilities.
- Regular Perth-based training.
- Public Liability Insurance
- WWC check